Health insurers are legally obligated to financially cover courses of treatment as of 2007, where a corresponding provision of treatment is available.
In legal terms, this is stated in:
- Medical Care (§ 24 Book V of the Social Code (SGB))
- Medical Rehabilitation (§ 41 SGB V)
Prerequisites for a course of treatment include:
- if a need for a course of treatment for the father or mother is ordered by a medical practitioner, and
- if supervision of the child at home is not possible or if separating the child from the parent is unreasonable, or
- the child also requires treatment as attested by medical practitioners.
- The duration of such treatments normally amounts to three weeks and involves a holistic treatment programme.
- Children can be brought along until they are 12 years old.
- Repeating the treatment is only allowed after at least 4 years.
- Costs amount to €10 a day for adults, children are free of charge.
Interesting link: http://www.mutter-kind-hilfswerk.de/
(Personal advice is offered by the Mother-Child Aid Organisation (Mutter-Kind-Hilfswerk e.V.) under the toll-free service number 0800/2255100)